As you know, in a construction project, base is the most important step. If the base is frail there is no chance that the completed project will stand firmly. Well that being said, in this situation takeoff services are considered as the base of a construction process. Here’s a short definition of takeoff in the construction industry. Takeoff is defined as the total material, Labor, and quantity that is going to be used in a construction project given in a sheet.
Fact: According to a research “San Francisco is the most expensive US city to build in”
Back to our topic, the takeoff sheet that contains all of the materials and their quantities is quantity takeoff. Quantity takeoff also referred as quantity surveying or material counts doesn’t contain any labor, overheads etc. No matter in work or at home if you have a project to build you’ll need these services for a better result.
Difference between takeoff and estimating
As I mentioned before, takeoff contains all the materials, quantities, etc. Now the question remains, what is estimating? Well it’s simple, assigning the prices to the given takeoff is estimating. How it works is after the required takeoff is done estimator starts assigning the pricing to the given materials. This work in the construction industry is as important as the project itself.
Takeoff Services includes:
- Material Takeoffs
- Construction Takeoffs
- Quantity Takeoffs
- Earthwork Takeoffs
- Mechanical Takeoffs
- Electrical Takeoffs
- Plumbing Takeoffs
Types of Material Takeoff services
- Manual Takeoff Services
- Digital Takeoff Services
Manual Takeoff Services:
This type of takeoff is performed manually. But it can be a headache because you can miscount some items. In this method takeoff specialists take a physical approach or are given blueprints. This method is very time consuming and most likely to have some human errors. Even the most experienced estimators can’t do the work precisely and therefore can’t give you enough attention to details
Digital Takeoff Services:
The type of takeoff which is performed digitally by the help of online software is digital takeoff. It’s more accurate, less time consuming and can prevent headaches. All the work is done in a takeoff software which allow you to manage the materials and their quantities more accurately and precisely. Most of the world nowadays prefers digital software rather than performing the work manually.
Benefits of using quantity takeoff services
Almost all the contractors use estimating and takeoff services before starting a project. Here is how quantity takeoff services are beneficial:
- It can save the headache of “how much of a material is going to use in the project”
- It can save materials from going to waste
- It can save your budget and massive amount of time
Note: A takeoff can be done without any estimate but an estimate must need a takeoff to complete.
How it Works:
- First, the contractor reaches out to a takeoff specialist for a material takeoff. Contractor gives them the drawings or plans of the current project. Takeoff specialist then starts working on the project and adds the materials needed like concrete, bricks, drywall sheets, pipes, paints etc.
- After completing the step one specialist assigns the quantities for the required materials and includes wastage, and labor.
- After that it depends if the contractor needed the pricing. If yes, then estimators assign the pricing to each material (Single + Total) and add labor costs.
- At the end after the bid is completed, contractors give the bid to the project manager who then starts working on the project.
In every business, base is considered the strongest and the most vulnerable part. In construction projects the base is takeoff services. If you are going to start a business which includes electrical estimating services, and want to provide the best services, quantity takeoff services are as important as the base itself.